Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cosmic trip home

I must say that being in a car on the Moldova's roads is quite comparable to some of the most crazy attractions of the European entertainment parks. Sitting on the back seat of a regular mini-bus, heading north for around 2.5 hours is clearly going to involve a lot of jumping and shaking. Moreover, all this will be rather constant and unexpected at same time, as you never know what jump will smash your head to the ceiling of the car and which one will most probably just throw you off the seat at all. No, seriously, I'm not kidding here. It could be an excellent exercise  for future astronauts. If you survive this without moving to the front seats and with no further headache, trauma or other unpleasant consequences - you are tough, you may be proud of your physical resistance.


What I also believe is that DRIVING on these roads is just as breathtaking as being a passenger. A driver on Moldovan road is a perfect example of multitasking, crazy mixture of acute attention and top-level carelessness. They can talk on the phone, smoke, curse the other drivers, avoid the holes on the road, all at the same time... And if you try to reply now that you can also do all these while driving, I invite you insistently to prove your skills on our roads. Trust me, you'll say I was right.


Frankly, I didn't know what I was saying when talking about Moldova's roads. I thought I was exaggerating but, as sad as it is, I was underestimating the problem. Probably 1 year of life in France made me picky and got me used to  smooth driving on high speed. But my eyes are obviously protesting against this patched texture and permanently shaking picture in front of them.
Clearly, going home in march was not promising any beautiful pictures to present all the beauty of the land, especially of the countryside. The weather was gloomy, the snow was yet present here and there, a little too grey, with dust, a little too dirty with the rains.   


On this 2.5 hours road heading north, I though - how weird it is, the settlements, villages, towns, everything is kilometers away from this road. People come to the road to get the bus and go to the next village, to leave a parcel that will be taken later by other people who also come to the road. I don't mean to be too philosophical, state existential truths or something, but ... The point is that in all the gloomy weather, with all the bad roads, with all the distance from the main road (as bad as the others), people live in a very beautiful land. A land with a touch of wilderness that gives it an unrepeatable charm. You feel free and almost alone in the whole world. But you still know, that somewhere close, just few kilometers from here there is a village and people who will most probably be rather friendly and kind. That's what Moldova is famous for - hospitality.


No comments:

Post a Comment